IDC's Core and Edge Computing Platforms service provides continuous market data and analysis of the worldwide hardware computing platforms markets. These include network-centric platforms (aka small [pod], mid [server], and large [large systems]) form factors deployed in the datacenter and in off-datacenter locations (including edge) and in public cloud, private cloud, and noncloud infrastructure. The infrastructure industry is in a state of transition, driven by disruptive trends such as cloud, hyperscale, artificial intelligence, silicon heterogeneity, blockchain, social media, and mobility. This service provides research and analysis on how these trends are reshaping the development and evolution of new and existing systems, platforms, and technologies markets. This service also analyzes vendor trends and strategies.
Core and Edge Computing Platforms
Markets and Subjects Analyzed
- Worldwide server market share, forecasts, and installed base
- High-availability (HA) and fault-tolerant systems
- Scale-up and scale-out computing architecture
- Modular systems
- Edge computing infrastructure (gateways and systems)
- Next-generation computing platforms
- Vendor performance, strategies, and portfolios
- Accelerated computing, including control plane offload mechanisms
- Liquid cooling technologies and systems
- Form factor trends: small (pod), mid (server) and large (large systems)
- Worldwide Server Market Shares and Forecast
- Highly Available Server Market Forecast
- Worldwide Server Installed Base Forecast
- Silicon Heterogeneity and Impact on Computing Platforms Market
- Accelerated Computing Market Trends and Outlook (Workload and Function Offload)
- Edge Computing Infrastructure Forecast
- Fabrics and Interconnects and Associated Standards
- End-User Adoption Trends and Sentiment
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
Key Questions Answered
- How will public and private clouds, service providers, and hyperscalers shape the server market in the future?
- How will emerging silicon technologies impact the industry?
- How will advances in multicore processors push the x86 server upmarket to address high-end workloads?
- How will accelerated computing change the server industry?
- How will edge computing infrastructure evolve in the connected world?
ADLINK Technology Inc., ADVANTECH Co., Ltd., AIC Inc., ARM Limited, ASRock Rack Inc., Advanced Micro Devices, Inc., Altera Corporation, Amazon Web Services Inc., Ampere Computing LLC, Apple Inc., Broadcom Inc., Canonical Group Limited, Cavium, Inc., Celestica Inc., Cisco Systems Inc., Citrix Systems, Inc., Compal Electronics, Inc., Cray Inc., Dawning Information Industry Co., Ltd., Dell Inc., Docker, Inc., Ericsson, Facebook, Inc., Foxconn Technology Group, Fujitsu Limited, Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., Google LLC, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Hitachi, Ltd., Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd., IBM, Inspur Group Co., Ltd., Intel Corporation, Inventec Corporation, LSI Corporation, Lenovo Group Limited, Marvell Technology Group Ltd., MiTAC Inc., Micro Focus International plc, Micron Technology, Inc., Microsemi Corporation, Microsoft Corporation, NEC Corporation, NVIDIA Corporation, NetApp, Inc., New H3C Technologies Co., Ltd., Nokia Corporation, Nutanix, Inc., Oracle Corporation, Pegatron Corporation, Qualcomm Inc., Quanta Services Inc., Rackspace Technology Global, Inc., Red Hat, Inc., SAP SE, SK hynix Inc., SUSE Linux GmbH, SYNNEX Corp., Samsung, SanDisk Corporation, Seagate Technology LLC, Stratus Technologies Inc., Super Micro Computer Inc., Symantec Corporation, Texas Instruments Incorporated, Unisys Corporation, VMware, Inc., Western Digital Corporation, Wistron Corporation, Xilinx, Inc., ZT Systems, ZTE Corporation
Meet the Experts
Group Vice President, Infrastructure Systems, Platforms and Technologies Group
Research Director, Infrastructure Systems, Platforms and Technologies Group
Senior Research Analyst, Infrastructure Systems, Platforms and Technologies
Research Director, Infrastructure Systems, Platforms and Technologies Group, Performance Intensive Computing Solutions Global Research Lead
Research Manager, Infrastructure Systems, Platforms and Technologies Group