15 Jun 2021
'IDC Excellence Awards' Winners Announced as Egypt's Minister of Communications & Information Technology Opens Virtual CIO Summit
Cairo – More than 250 of Egypt’s most influential IT and business decision makers gathered online yesterday (June 14) for the 7th annual installment of the IDC Egypt CIO Summit 2021. Hosted on IDC's industry-leading virtual platform under the patronage of His Excellency Dr. Amr Talaat, Egypt's Minister of Communications and Information Technology (MCIT), the event brought together senior business leaders, influential IT heads, and respected industry analysts to share their collective expertise around the theme 'Innovative Digital Strategies: Evolving to the Demands of a New Reality'.
Opening the day's proceedings, Dr. Talaat outlined the innovative approaches that the government — working in close cooperation with the private sector — has adopted in its quest to facilitate an inclusive digital society. The Minister asserted that nurturing local talent and developing homegrown digital solutions are core elements to serving the mega projects that the government runs as part of the Digital Egypt national vision — namely, the New Administrative Capital, the digital transformation program, and digital-by-design government services.
2021 signals the journey to recovery, with the government, public sector and enterprises busily fine-tuning the strategic changes they have made over the past year to focus on driving growth and meeting the demands of the Next Normal for Egypt and internationally. With some of the region's foremost IT vendors and service providers partnering with IDC for the event, the IDC Egypt CIO Summit 2021 featured keynote presentations, real-life case studies, and dedicated technology tracks that explored the very latest developments in the areas of cloud, artificial intelligence, digital trust, business continuity, and the Future of Work, to name just a few.
The event included a series of fireside chats, best-practice sessions, and panel discussions, showcasing insights from a wide range of local, regional, and international industry pioneers, including:
- Yasser Fouad, CISO, Telecom Egypt
- Amr Al Ashakr, CIO, Cleopatra Hospitals Group (Egypt)
- Abeer Khedr, Director of Information Security, National Bank of Egypt
- Ahmad Samir, Director of Corporate CX, Planning & Design, WE Telecom Egypt
- Shaarawy Mohamed, VP of IT Infrastructure Services, First Abu Dhabi Bank Egypt
- Hisham Mohamed, CISO & Head of Risk, Emirates NBD Egypt
- Wissam Al Adany, Group CIO, Ghabbour Auto Group (Egypt)
- Ahmed Abd El Sattar, Group CIO, Qalaa Holdings (Egypt)
- Manal Negmeldin, Head of Direct Channels, Digital & Omnichannel, Elaraby Group (Egypt)
- Tim Youngblood, Corporate VP & Global CISO, Global Technology Risk Management, McDonald's Corporation (USA)
- Mike Towers, CISO, Takeda Pharmaceuticals International (USA)
- Chris Clark, Senior VP & CIO, Levi Strauss & Co. (USA)
- Bharathi Viswanathan, Chief Information & Digital Officer, Coca-Cola APAC (Singapore)
- Vipin Gupta, CIO, Toyota Financial Services (USA)
The event also played host to the IDC Excellence Awards for Egypt, which this year featured two new categories: 'Excellence in Business Innovation' and 'Women in Technology & Business'. Designed to recognize the efforts of the country's leading technology executives in driving innovation, strengthening resiliency, and influencing rapid change, individual awards were handed out in the following categories:
- Excellence in Business Innovation: Banque Misr, represented by Ibrahim El Sherbiny, CIO & Head of Digital Innovation, Banque Misr
- Women in Technology & Business: Manal Negmeldin, Head of Direct Channels & Digital Transformation, Elaraby Group
- CISO of the Year: Ossama Rashad, Head of IT Security, CIB
- CIO of the Year: Ahmed Abd ElSattar Ahmed, Group Chief Information & Innovation Officer, Qalaa Holdings
IDC would like to thank the following partners for their invaluable contribution to the success of the IDC Egypt CIO Summit 2021 : Host Partner: VAS Integrated Solutions / VMware; Strategic Partner: ITIDA; Summit Partners: Dell Technologies, Red Hat, Oracle, Honeywell, Huawei; Technology Focus Group Partners: FireEye, F5, Trend Micro, Oracle, ManageEngine, Vidscola; and Exhibit Partners: Liferay.
International Data Corporation (IDC) is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology, telecommunications, and consumer technology markets. With more than 1,100 analysts worldwide, IDC offers global, regional, and local expertise on technology and industry opportunities and trends in over 110 countries. IDC's analysis and insight helps IT professionals, business executives, and the investment community to make fact-based technology decisions and to achieve their key business objectives. Founded in 1964, IDC is a subsidiary of IDG, the world's leading technology media, research, and events company. To learn more about IDC, please visit www.idc.com. Follow IDC on Twitter at @IDC.
IDC in the Middle East, Turkey, and Africa
For the Middle East, Turkey, and Africa region, IDC retains a coordinated network of offices in Riyadh, Nairobi, Lagos, Johannesburg, Cairo, and Istanbul, with a regional center in Dubai. Our coverage couples local insight with an international perspective to provide a comprehensive understanding of markets in these dynamic regions. Our market intelligence services are unparalleled in depth, consistency, scope, and accuracy. IDC MEA currently fields over 130 analysts, consultants, and conference associates across the region. To learn more about IDC MEA, please visit www.idc.com/mea. You can follow IDC MEA on Twitter at @IDCMEA.
Copy the following code into your site