15 Mar 2021
Thailand’s Smartphone Market Declined 10.5% YoY in 4Q20, As Supply Couldn't Keep Up With The Demand
BANGKOK, March 15, 2021 - According to the International Data Corporation’s (IDC) Quarterly Mobile Phone Tracker, the Thailand smartphone market shipped 4.7 million units in 4Q20, an 8.9% increase QoQ, as channel partners led with aggressive promotions. But this was a 10.5% decline YoY, as supply was not enough to keep up with the demand.
• Online channel shipments almost doubled YoY, even as eTailer momentum slowed down after its peak in 2020Q2.
• Operators regained lost share, accounting for one-third of the total, as they grew double-digit QoQ due to the popularity of iPhone 12-series bundles in the high-end and higher shipments from players such as realme and vivo in the low-end.
• 5G devices grew more than three times QoQ in 4Q20, bringing the 2020 total to 1.3 million units thanks to Apple’s iPhone 12-series and more affordable 5G Android devices (<US$500).
• vivo continued to be the top player by focusing on ensuring enough stock. Volume was largely driven by the low-end Y-series models such as the Y12s and Y20. Its offline marketing investments paid off well in mid-range 5G devices too.
• OPPO gained QoQ but declined sharply YoY due to severe shortages of their hero models A15 and Reno 4 Z/Pro 5G. Volume was driven by the A-series models.
• Apple’s iPhone 12 performance was impressive especially in the operator channel. But shipments dropped YoY due to the late launch and shortage of iPhone 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max models.
• realme rose again QoQ after flattened growth last quarter. realme continued to focus on the offline channel in rural areas and building a relationship with operators. Most units were in the low-end C-series.
• Samsung’s volume was driven by the new low-end A-series such as the Galaxy A12 and Galaxy A21s, although the supply couldn’t keep up with demand for these affordable smartphones.
For more information about IDC’s tracker products and research services, please contact Teerit Paowan, Market Analyst at firstname.lastname@example.org. For media inquiries, please contact Akash Tiwari, Senior Marketing at email@example.com .
About IDC Trackers
IDC Tracker products provide accurate and timely market size, company share, and forecasts for hundreds of technology markets from more than 100 countries around the globe. Using proprietary tools and research processes, IDC's Trackers are updated on a semiannual, quarterly, and monthly basis. Tracker results are delivered to clients in user-friendly excel deliverables and on-line query tools.
International Data Corporation (IDC) is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology, telecommunications, and consumer technology markets. With more than 1,100 analysts worldwide, IDC offers global, regional, and local expertise on technology and industry opportunities and trends in over 110 countries. IDC's analysis and insight helps IT professionals, business executives, and the investment community to make fact-based technology decisions and to achieve their key business objectives. Founded in 1964, IDC is a subsidiary of IDG, the world's leading technology media, research, and events company. To learn more about IDC, please visit www.idc.com. Follow IDC on Twitter at @IDC.
Copy the following code into your site