IDC's CMO Advisory Service guides marketing leaders as they master the science of marketing. Digital transformation offers CMOs the opportunity to become revenue drivers and architects of the customer experience. Leaders leverage IDC's deep industry knowledge, powerful quantitative models, peer-tested practices, and personalized guidance to advance their operations. Whether seeking fresh perspectives on core challenges or counsel on emerging developments, IDC offers a trusted source of insight.
Markets and Subjects Analyzed
Marketing Investment and Transformational Operations
- Planning and budgeting investments in the marketing mix, marketing technology, and marketing operations, accountability, and attribution
Application of New Technology for Marketing
- Guidance on the implications of new technologies such as artificial intelligence (AI), collaboration, and marketing automation solutions
Delivering the New Customer Experience
- Mapping and responding to the B2B customer decision journey
The Future Marketing Organization
- Organizational design, staff allocation benchmarks, role definition, talent development, shared services, organizational alignment, and change management
- Developing core competencies: Content marketing, customer intelligence and analytics, integrated digital and social engagement, sales enablement, and loyalty and advocacy
- Benchmarking and Organizational Planning Tools: Peer benchmarks and KPIs support the marketing operations strategy. A custom report compares your organization with a select target group, providing a comprehensive gap analysis with actionable recommendations.
- Competency Research and Frameworks: IDC Perspectives and models guide strategy, operations, measurement, and performance.
- Buyer Insights and the Voice of the Customer: IDC examines buyers' preferences and behaviors concerning marketing practices.
- Peer Networking: The Marketing Leadership Board Meeting meets twice each year to support our clients' efforts in effective transformation and growth. Peer-to-peer calls provide rich discussion on key topics.
- Inquiry Support: There is unlimited inquiry access to practice analysts, ad hoc research from our extensive database, and facilitated member-to-member discussions upon request.
Key Questions Answered
Marketing leaders have progressed competencies such as content marketing, data/analytics, and digital campaign management. However, new requirements continue to be revealed. Capabilities including customer centricity, customer journey–driven content, team-based organizational models, and mastery of artificial intelligence are now a must-have. The following are questions that IDC's CMO Advisory Service helps answer:
- How should I organize my team and invest my budget?
- What are leaders doing to better engage with customers?
- How do I develop the next generation of marketing competencies?
- How can I best use data, intelligence, and AI to drive customer centricity?
Consulting, Thought Leadership, and Custom Research Capabilities
IDC provides marketing-specific consulting capabilities to complement the CMO Advisory Service benefits. Sample engagements include:
Marketing effectiveness and organizational transformation — Assess, benchmark, and score today's marketing organization and transformational capabilities and design a future state structure, a skills checklist, and a prioritized, actionable road mapWorkshops — Seminars, training, and half-day or full-day workshops on a wide range of marketing effectiveness and marketing transformation topics (Workshops include research presentation, discussion, and exercises.)Thought leadership and sales enablement content — Custom research-based content such as webcasts, event speeches, and white papers for use in training and for go-to-market campaign offersCustom research — Custom research, frameworks, and models to provide insightful answers to your specific business questions (Popular topics include marketing benchmarks, buyer behavior, buyer's journey, and dashboard development.)