IDC's Internet of Things: Infrastructure research analyzes IT infrastructure (network access, gateways, platforms, server, and storage) that is needed to enable IoT. It will analyze networking, server, and storage requirements specific to IoT implementations across a diverse set of vertical industries including healthcare, oil and gas, government, automotive, manufacturing, life sciences, utilities, and more. This research will also examine the developing IoT technologies and ecosystems along with related business challenges faced by enterprise IT managers within service providers, enterprises, and industry verticals. Specifically, this service will take an end-to-end view of IoT-related technology and business challenges within wired and wireless access, core networking, all the way to edge compute and storage solutions in datacenter/cloud.
- IoT network connectivity — includes low power wireless access technologies (cellular and non-cellular), platforms, gateways, aggregation points, agents, and sensors
- IoT compute platforms — includes both core datacenter and edge computing infrastructure
- IoT storage platforms — includes both storage and data persistence in both datacenter and edge infrastructure
- IoT Infrastructure (Taxonomy and Definitions)
- IoT Infrastructure Survey Document
- IoT Infrastructure PlanScape
- IoT Infrastructure: Storage and Computing Platforms for IoT Market Size and Forecast
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
- What are the key trends emerging within the IoT infrastructure market?
- What are the key networking, server, and storage requirements emerging across the IoT ecosystem?
- How is the IoT infrastructure market unique or similar to the Big Data and analytics market opportunity? What IoT-generated data persists over time; where, and how?
- How will service provider business models evolve for IoT? What are the implications for IT infrastructure?
- Who are the key players in IoT infrastructure and where are the opportunities for growth?
AT&T Inc., Amazon.com, Inc., Apple Inc., Cisco Systems, Inc., Dell Inc., Deutsche Telekom AG, EMC Corporation, Facebook, Inc., Fujitsu Limited, Google Inc., Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Hitachi, Ltd., Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd., IBM, Intel Corporation, LM Ericsson Telephone Company, Microsoft Corporation, Nokia Corporation, Oracle Corporation, PTC, Inc., QUALCOMM Incorporated, Samsung, Sprint Corporation, Telefonica S.A., Telstra Corporation Limited, Verizon Communications, Inc., ZTE Corporation
Research Director, Storage Systems
Research Manager, Worldwide Mobile and IoT Network Infrastructure