In just a few short decades, IT has moved from the back office, the 1st Platform, to the front office, the 2nd Platform, and, finally, embedded itself into nearly every aspect of people's business and personal lives, fueled by 3rd Platform technologies like mobile, social business, cloud, and Big Data and analytics (BDA). A new era is upon us where technologies and processes that businesses deploy are so tightly linked to their customers and markets that the boundary between the internal operations of the enterprise and its external ecosystem (e.g., customers, markets, competitors, partners, and regulators) is rapidly disappearing. Business leaders are challenged to move their enterprises to the next level, that of digital business transformation, employing digital technologies coupled with organizational, operational, and business model innovation to create new ways of operating and growing businesses. IDC's Worldwide Semiannual Digital Transformation Spending Guide sizes the technology and business dollars related to this transformation.
This product covers the following segments of the digital transformation (DX) market:
- 8 Regions: United States, Canada, Japan, Western Europe, Central and Eastern Europe, Asia/Pacific, Middle East and Africa, and Latin America
- 19 Industries: Banking, insurance, securities and investment services, discrete manufacturing, process manufacturing, construction, resource industries, retail, wholesale, professional services, personal and consumer services, transportation, healthcare provider, federal/central government, state/local government, education, telecommunications, media, and utilities
- 9 Technologies: Business services, cloud infrastructure, cloud software, enterprise hardware, IT services, innovation accelerators, on-premise software, personal devices, and telecom services
- 5 Digital transformation types: Information, Leadership, Omni-Experience, Operating Model, and WorkSource
Throughout the year, this product will address the following topics:
- Digital transformation taxonomy
- Size of the digital transformation opportunity for the United States and the rest of the world by industry, technology, and DX type
- Market drivers and trends impacting DX technology growth
Our research addresses the following issues that are critical to your success:
- What trends are driving company DX investment?
- How does DX spending differ from the United States and the rest of the world?
- Which industries are spending the most on DX?
- What technologies and services are needed for DX?
- What is the DX market opportunity?
- How much will this shift by 2016 and by 2020?
IDC's Worldwide Semiannual Digital Transformation Spending Guide provides guidance on the expected technology opportunity around this market at a regional and total worldwide level. Segmented by industry, use case, and technology component, this guide provides IT vendors with insights into this rapidly growing market and how the market will develop over the coming year.
Throughout the year, this product will offer insight into the latest trends impacting the market. Potential studies include:
This document defines digital transformation and the technologies included in the guide.
This survey presentation will highlight key findings from our annual IT survey.
This document will provide a five-year forecast by 19 verticals, 5 DX areas, and 9 technologies for the United States and the rest of the world. It is updated on a semiannual cycle.